Tucan Tucan profile download
Overcomes boundaries, Breaks down barriers, Brings people together Embraces diverse cultures.
”Tucan Tucan, a delicious South American Music bird Seasoned with African Spices. Put simply, the music of Tucan Tucan is a delightful, amorphous mixture that refuses to be compartmentalized… Who said Ubuntu is Dead? If it is, then Tucan Tucan has just resurrected it!” – Richard Nwamba- Sawubona Magazine (July, 2009).
The desire of Frank Paco from Mozambique and Muriel Marco from Argentina, to unite and fuse styles of music close to their hearts, resulted in the launch of World music Afro-tropical band TUCAN TUCAN.
Their music: A kaleidoscope of sound. World music. A vibrant melting pot of African rhythms such as Kwasa Kwasa, Marrabenta, Mbaqanga, Maskandi and High life with South American elements from Samba, Salsa, Tango and Chacarera with jazz influence and lyrics in African languages, Spanish, Portuguese and English.
Tucan Tucan past performance highlights include:
• Africa Day Festival 2012 at CTICC
Tucan Tucan has performed at numerous private functions including:
• PowerGroup Pelican Park Housing innauguration with Mayor Helen Zille 2012
TUCAN TUCAN has released 2 Cds: ‘Xiluva’ and ‘Make a Difference’:
• Song ‘Slow Jam’ reached the top 10 on Heart 104.9 FM, one of the most popular commercial radio stations in Cape Town, and maintained this position for several weeks. ‘Slow Jam’ was included on the Heart and Soul of Cape Town 104.9 FM compilation.
• Song ‘Conga Loca’ was included on the North Sea Jazz Festival compilation 2002. ‘Conga Loca’ and ‘Slow Jam’ have also been included in the Baileys Salsa CD compilation 2008.
• Songs ‘A re yeng’ and ‘Ratanang’ have enjoyed extensive airplay on popular radio station Kaya FM and have been included on four Sheer Sound compilations.
• Video Clip on Song ‘Ratanang’ was nominated for the best Jazz Video on the Channel O music video Awards. This song and its video have been broadcast extensively on Mozambican TV and radio.
• Track ‘Hold on’ from TUCAN TUCAN’s new release is currently on the Heart 104.9 Fm top 10 charts and is receiving airplay on Gauteng Radio Stations. Its video is currently broadcast by Channel O, SABC channels and MTV base. This track has been included in the Fair Lady CD compilation to be released this year.
• Song ‘Sizani’, also from TUCAN TUCAN’s new release, has been included on the Cape Town International Jazz Festival compilation 2007.
• Song ‘Tiku La mina’ from our latest release, has maintain position number 1 for several weeks on Kaya Fm's world chart in June - July 2007.
• Track ‘Slow Jam’ and ‘Conga Loca’ have been featured as soundtracks for the movie “Confessions of a Gambler” to be premiered in Dubai, South Africa and USA in February 2008. This movie won the “best composition SAFTA Golden Horn Award 2009”.
• Track ‘Esa Morena’ was chosen finalist in the International Songwriting Competition 2008. The finalists were chosen from over 15,000 entrants from all over the world, making this an extraordinary achievement on Tucan Tucan’s part. ‘Esa Morena’ was garnered an Honorable Mention in the world music category.
• Track ‘Esa Morena’ was chosen as the feature track for the TV add of Proyecto 34s, Theatre Exchange South Africa – Argentina 2009. Track ‘Esa Morena’ and ‘Siyo pudiera’ are featured in their website.
• Track 'Milele’ and ‘Be what you want’ are featured in Glamour and Glory
German movie to be released in European TV in 2010.