The Rockets profile download
The Rockets success story is one of determination, hard work and dedication.
The Rockets have always had a definite and precise attitude to their career right from its inception, having survived both the feverishness and fluctuations of the music business.
Over the past 10 years The Rockets have spent more than 6 months of each year performing outside of South Africa. International trips have included numerous performances in Australia, various countries in the Middle East, Seychelles and other parts of Africa.
The Rockets have supported and/or backed many international artists, including:-
The Spice Girls
Wet Wet Wet
Other prestigious events include:
- The massive Staying Alive Aids concert in Cape Town together with international acts. This show was filmed by MTV and viewed by an audience of 2 billion people on Aids Day.
- They performed to over 100000 people at the massive “Concert in the Park” shows.
- They played to many thousands of enthusiastic fans at the Springbok Rugby Victory parade, Cape Town.
- They blew the 50000-strong audience away at the “Olympic Announcement Event” at the Grand Parade, Cape Town, proving to be the most popular act by far.
- They appeared at the National Freedom Day Celebration in Cape where President Nelson Mandela gave his official speech.
- They performed in Vredendal when President Mbeki received the Freedom of the Town.
- They proved once again what a popular act they are when they performed at the famous Jazzathon, held at the V&A Waterfront, Cape Town.
- They wowed an emotional audience at The Richtersveld Land Claim Celebration, Alexander Bay.
- They played on both the Voorbrand fees and the ‘Kaktus op die Vlaktes” Festival at the Klein Karoo National Arts Festival in Oudtshoorn.
- They were nominated in both the “Best Pop Performance” and “Best Contemporary Dance Performance” categories at the South African Music Awards.
- The group was part of the highly successful “Lion Lager Road Show”, which toured extensively throughout the country performing on stages created and supported by
- massive pantechnicons, bringing music to the townships and rural areas. They shared
- the stage with many professional colleagues, including Ladysmith Black Mambaso,
- P.J.Powers, Rebecca Malope, Soul Brothers and many more talented artists.
- They have performed at many successful corporate functions here and abroad including the Nelson Mandela Invitational, Presidents Cup, IEC, Standard Bank, Microsoft, Old Mutual, Philips, Clicks, Spier Wine Estate, Mnet/DSTV, African Bank and many others.
- They annually help many charity organisations raise much-needed funds.
- They have also held many record-breaking resident commitments at top nightclubs around the world.
They have had numerous record successes in South Africa and have topped many radio
station and official charts with hits like “Gimme A Break”, “Surrender”, “Pappa Please Come Back Home, "Thank You Thank You, "Back II The Hits, “Dreaming of You” and "African People. They have always backed up their accomplishments before hundred of thousands of fans throughout the world.
In their time, The Rockets, who hail from Cape Town, have travelled in excess of 3 million kilometres performing before millions of fans. They have a stunning visual appeal, their playing is top notch and their songs are fresh and fulfilling. They continue to set both local and international stages alight with their colourful, uncompromising and energetic performances.
Many local and international promoters, clients, journalists and other media have always heaped praise on The Rockets.
“The Rockets are masters on stage ..” (Rapport)
“.. There can be few bands in South African music history who have consistently delivered the goods...” Mike Fuller (Famous Concerts)
“The Rockets made a huge impact …. Everyone was very impressed with their standard of performance. They are true professionals. I loved working with them… They’ve made such a great impression here …” (Promoter of 6-city tour of Australia including venues in Sydney, Perth, Melbourne, Brisbane, Fremantle and Canberra)
“..The Rockets are a very special group ... I am proud to be associated with a group that epitomises everything that is good in South African music...” (Die Burger)
We consider The Rockets to be the most professional and certainly the best paid band out of all the bands that perform at our hotels. The professional and positive atmosphere that they radiate has played a large part in their success and the personal relationship built up with The Rockets over the years, turns every contract with them into a special experience. Their very rich repertoire contributes to their success with a wide range of audiences who come especially to enjoy The Rockets show.” (Regional Manager, Middle East)
“Their cross-generation appeal is what makes them timeless legends ..”
Andrew October (Weekend Argus)
“..The Rockets, today probably the most popular pop group in South Africa ..” (Rapport)
“The Rockets showed that they are undoubtedly one of the best pop groups in the land. What a powerful and professional performance .. “ (Die Burger)
“We have had the privilege and honour of booking and working with The Rockets. Not only are they an internationally acclaimed group, who have paid their dues and earned the respect and admiration of everyone, whom they come into contact with, but they are true professionals. Their conduct off stage and on stage has always been nothing short of exemplary – the fact that they are booked by the same clients repeatedly, bears testimony to their courtesy, professionalism, punctuality and impeccable dress sense …. From start to finish, their performances are riveting and of the highest professional standard!” (Entertainment Consultants, Booking Agents & Artiste Co-ordinators, South Africa)
“You guys rocked !!!!! It has been voted that the best party is no doubt …. Cape Town … you guys were tops! Everyone was absolutely thrilled with the band’s performance, especially your interaction with your audience. The band professionalism and creative energy on stage makes it a pleasure to work with you all! (Corporate Client)
“Your music had the crowd rocking until all hours of the morning. You guys are wonderful, a pleasure to deal with and great to dance to”. (Corporate Client)
“The Rockets recipe of rollicking fun and excellent musicianship continues …”
“Wow! You are all fantastic!. Your performance and your backing of BiIly Ocean contributed greatly to the success of the concert.” (International Concert Promoter)
“We have multi-national clients and they have interacted well with them all and can adapt to any type or style of music that is required. They are a very easy band to work with and I would not hesitate to recommend them to any future employer”. (Assistant General Manager – Dubai)
“S.m.o.o.t.h. South Africa’s answer to all those cool multi-harmonied groups that the USA throws at us … vocally these guys are good. They throw out a thoroughly professional sound, sing as sweet as honey-bees in the hive and have a collective kick like a mule.” (Cape Argus)
“The Rockets can hold their heads up high in international competition .. “